I recently published a website that was built with technologies I was unfamiliar with. I accomplished my goals for the side-project and I learned a lot about those new techs. Yay!
I didn’t feel good about the quality of my work. I took lazy short-cuts and found “creative” workarounds which ran counter to the spirit of the technologies I was supposedly trying to learn. I knew this was a problem from the start, because I’ve been down this road many times before and I recognized that I had conflicting motivations.
I wanted to learn the new techs, but I also wanted to ship before the end of the holiday season. The deadline was self-imposed, sure, but I thought it was important because the vast majority of my attempted side-projects wither up and die long before making it to the mausoleum.