Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
This week we talk about all of the bad things we’ve done while making software. The good, the bad, … oh wait, it compiles, never mind.
Want to be part of the conversation? Head over to https://www.codingblocks.net/slack to become a member of our Slack community! What are you waiting for? Join now!
Oh, wait, are you viewing these show notes via your podcast player? Then head to https://www.codingblocks.net/episode57 to find this episode’s full show notes.
Big thanks to Airbrake.io for sponsoring this episode. Airbrake provides a full stack error monitoring tool that alerts you to errors in your software, then helps you diagnose and fix them.
Sign up for a free 30-day trial for a chance to win a $500 Amazon gift card at GetAirbrake.com/cb.
This episode’s survey asks: How fast is your _personal_ Internet connection?
- A big thank you to everyone that left us a review!
- iTunes reviews: Rjtman, Rhodekill19, Jon Hrovat, Kelyn, Bart Bucknill, Barok73, RaithlinSA
- Stitcher reviews: Schnargles, Humble Coder, Lunchbag, charvell, brokenjava, Bairdley, Yarbius
- Allen stumbled upon a review for the MyDigitalSSD BPX, a much more affordable NVMe SSD (available at Amazon).
- Allen has paused on the Hackintosh buid.
- Joe is moving to Orlando!
- New videos published to YouTube.
- Give the 7DRL Challenge a go.
You like stickers, right? Of course you do. And we’d like to give you some of our amazing stickers. Head to https://www.codingblocks.net/swag for more information.
Things We Discussed
- Database first approach
- Popular frameworks/platforms
- The three types of development: services, application/product, and line of business application
- Declarative vs Procedural
- Pitfalls of the database first approach
- Are ORMs a pitfall? Do they promote a lack of boundaries?
- The Lord of the Rings problem
- … one database to rule them all
- … or one ORM to rule them all
- The repository pattern
- What can we learn from the Linux architecture
- So, where do YOU start?
- DB? UI?
- Pitfalls of the code first approach
- Don’t worry about scale unless you actually need it
- SPAs vs web pages
- We went too far with SPAs
- jQuery was the golden age?
- Or should DOM Manipulation die?
- Ah, the days of frames and iframes
- Domain Driven Design
- Onion Architecture
- John Deere … wait, what?
- Treat yourself to a new video card. Specifically, the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (available at Amazon).
Resources We Like
We seem to mention the MVP a lot. Get your copy of The Lean Startup (available at Amazon) to learn more.
Tip of the Week
- Bootstrap Studio – Mentioned by Joe Riedly and Paul Seal
- Use Chrome’s Screenshot feature within the Network tab – Mentioned by Edward Lichtman
Edward in Slack – https://codingblocks.slack.com/team/elichtman
Edward on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/edwardlichtman/
- Use Visual Studio Team Services free tier … free Git repos
- https://regex101.com/ – A fiddle for your regex – Mentioned by Jamie Taylor
Tell Everyone About This Show
So, what do you think of the show? We hope you’re enjoying. In fact, we hope you’re enjoying it so much, you’ll help us out by spreading the word. Yeah, that’s right. Tell a friend. Or three. You know what? It’s actually not a requirement that the person you tell actually be a friend.
And by the way, we’ll be forever grateful if you’ll leave us a review. Head to https://www.codingblocks.net/review to learn more.