This week on Coding Blocks, Allen says www as best he can, Joe eats the microphone, and Michael does something crazy as we discuss Stack Overflow’s Salary Calculator and our experiences in landing the job – what to do and what not to do.
Want to be part of our Slack community? Sign up @
Link to Episode 44’s Full Show Notes
This week’s survey – What is the hardest part of landing the technical job?
- To everyone that left us a new review: super.Thanks(); Know that we really appreciate it.
- Will everyone be a full stack DevOps developer in 10-t5 years?
- Woo-hoo! We made the top of MakeUseOf’s list of 15 Top-Notch Podcasts for Programmers & Software Developers. And Joe actually got some karma from Reddit!?
- Allen tries to convince us that Bash on Windows is actually awesome after listening to MS Dev Show.
- Allen and Michael attended Shawn Wildermuth’s awesome ASP.NET Core meetup. And Shawn has a podcast: Hello World Podcast.
- We discuss music.
- Allen finds new ways to demotivate the team at despair.com/
- Stack Overflow’s Salary Calculator has been making it’s way around the Interwebs.
- On a scale of 0 to 4, most of us are a 1 or 2?
- Don’t look at the salary ranges. Nothing good can come of it.
- 10% adjustment for Location?
Michael gets Crazy
That’s right. Say goodbye to ergonomics and hello carpal tunnel syndrome as Michael shifts away from the ergonomic input devices in favor of the wired traditional form factors.
|Previously Using:||But Upgraded To:|
|And to make up for the lack of ergonomics …|
Landing the Job
- Why do people *not* get the job?
- Hiring mismatch?
- Not enough practical knowledge?
- Companies aren’t setup for beginners?
- Tiggers vs Eeyores
- What’s the hardest part about landing the job?
- What’s the best advice you can someone who’s looking for their first job? Be sure to let us know in the comments!
- Get Noticed/Portfolio – Stack Overflow, GitHub, Side projects?
- Networking – User Groups, Volunteering, Bootcamps?
- Experience – Co-op / Internship?
- We discuss how we got our proverbial foot in the door. Hint: Michael did what you’re not supposed to do.
We go Off Script
- Should we care about virtual reality yet?
- You should totally read Ready Player One.
Tips and Tricks
- Add dl=1 as a query parameter to your DropBox file URL to cause the browser to download your file rather than display it. Very helpful for programmatic use. Or add raw=1 as a query parameter to that Dropbox file URL to cause the browser to render the file.
- Code School’s new Try .NET MVC course.
Like the Show? Share it with the World!
You like the show. You know you do. We know you do. That person sitting across from you on the subway knows you do. And you know what would make enjoying the show even better? Good karma on your side. Share the show with a friend or five and I’m sure some good karma will find you. I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. I think I read that on the Internet. And the Internet does not lie. So, seriously, you should probably let some people know about the show. And hey, we’d certainly appreciate it. That’s gotta mean something. In fact, I’m sure that’s better than good karma.
Oh, and while we’re on the topic of doing nice things, if you haven’t already, we’d super duper be forever grateful if you’d head over to www.codingblocks.net/review to share your awesome opinion of the show with everyone. Even the creepy person sitting across from you on the subway that knows you like this show. What’s up with that person anyway?