We’re back with another installment as we challenge ourselves to compare how we’d each spend $2,500 on developer gear as Allen waxes on about the loudest quiet keyboard, Joe teaches us how cheese is made, and Michael puts some neon on his computer.
Reading this via your podcast player? For the full show notes, visit https://www.codingblocks.net/episode70.
- Linode – Use code “CODINGBLOCKS17” for $20 towards hosting (up to four months free!)
Survey Says …
This episode we ask: Do you trust your family to buy the tech you want?
- Many thanks to everyone that left us a review!
- iTunes: kedusi, LongRunGames, AndroidVersionHasITP, Traumataized85, Amixa, fiferdc
- Stitcher: JoeIsMyWaifu, razberrey, lulian, proofofwork, Barry Els, Starlord 777
- Podchaser: martinsmith1968
- What does it mean to be a senior developer?
- We want you to have Coding Blocks stuff in your life. Head to https://www.codingblocks.net/swag to learn more.
- Joe presented to a podcast group about our amazing Slack community. Join today! https://www.codingblocks.net/slack
Shop ’til you Drop
The rules are simple. We each get to spend a theoretical $2,500 on developer gear. Apparently, we’re not supposed to spend it on things like bicycles and guitars, but we’ll see how long that lasts. Now on with the shopping sprees!
Allen’s Complete Workspace!
|$270-350||WorkPro Quantum 9000 – “Baby Miller” (Amazon)|
|$26.99||Rollerblades for your chair! (Amazon)|
|$189.99||Vivo Sit / Stand Desk Conversion (Amazon)|
|$29.99||Cushioned Floor Mat (Amazon)|
|$17.95||Fix that back posture! (Amazon)|
|$59.00||Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard (Amazon)|
|$14.99||Anker Vertical Ergo Mouse (Amazon)|
|$41.74||Zero Audio Carbo Tenore In Ear Headphones (Amazon)|
|$14.99||Comply Foam Tips for your in ear headphones (Amazon)|
|$64.59||Audio Technica ATR-2100 Dynamic Microphone with USB AND XLR outputs! (Amazon)|
|$49.95||Snagit – the baby brother to Camtasia (Amazon)|
|$1,650???||Asus ZenBook Flip 15 2017 Model – Price coming soon! (Asus)|
Joe’s Take 1 – Macbook Pro, Yo
|Apple 15″ MacBook Pro, Space Gray (Amazon)||$2499.99|
Joe’s Take 2 – Infinite ROI
Kraft Chedder Cheese Powder (Amazon)
|Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don’t Matter (Amazon)||1||$16.20|
USB Hub 3.0 Splitter (Amazon)
|Danby 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler (Amazon)||1||$172.66|
OPTI-UPS DS1000B-RM Rackmount UPS (Amazon)
GekkoScience Asic Rev.2 Double chip 2-Pac Compac-2 USB Stick Bitcoin Miner (Amazon)
Michael’s Blinged-Out Shopping List
For the build …
|Corsair Lighting Node Pro (Amazon)||$49.99|
|Corsair HD Series, HD 120 RGB LED 120mm fans (Amazon)||$79.99|
|Corsair H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (Amazon)||$59.99|
|Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4 Memory (Amazon)||$449.99|
|Samsung 960 Series 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (Amazon)||$289.99|
For the love of the game …
|Xbox One X (Amazon)||$499.00|
|Astro Gaming A40 TR Headset + MixAmp Pro TR for Xbox One (Amazon)||$249.99|
|Astro Gaming A40 TR Mod Kit (Amazon)||$60.00|
|DX Racer Formula Series Gaming Chair (Amazon)||$289.00|
|Samsung T5 Portable SSD – 1TB – USB 3.1 External SSD (Amazon)||$377.99|
For the bookworms …
|Working Effectively with Legacy Code by Michael Feathers (Amazon)||$52.90|
|Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code by Martin Fowler (Amazon)||$49.26|
Tip of the Week
- Try Haskell today!
- Cmder – Portable console emulator for Windows
- Cmder vs ConEmu by Slant: https://www.slant.co/versus/5488/5489/~cmder_vs_conemu
- Use about:profiles in Firefox to setup multiple profiles
- Impostor Syndrome Podcast