Some things just require discussion, such as Docker’s new licensing, while Joe is full of it, Allen *WILL* fault them, and Michael goes on the record.
The full show notes for this episode are available at https://www.codingblocks.net/episode167.
- Datadog – Sign up today for a free 14 day trial and get a free Datadog t-shirt after creating your first dashboard.
- Shortcut – Project management has never been easier. Check out how Shortcut (formerly known as Clubhouse) is project management without all the management.
- Thank you to everyone that left a review!
- iTunes: Badri Ravi
- Audible: Dysrhythmic, Brent
- Atlanta Code Camp is right around the corner on October 9th. Stop by the CB booth and say hi! (AtlantaCodeCamp.com)
Docker recently announced big changes to the licensing terms and pricing for their product subscriptions. These changes would mean some companies having to pay a lot more to continue using Docker like they do today. So…what will will happen? Will Docker start raking in the dough or will companies abandon Docker?
- Docker is Updating and Extending Our Product Subscriptions (Docker)
- Minikube documentation (Thanks MadVikingGod! From the Tips n’ Tools channel in Slack.)
- Open Container Initiative, an open governance structure for the purpose of creating open industry standards around container formats and runtimes. (opencontainers.org)
- Podman, a daemonless container engine for developing, managing, and running OCI containers. (podman.io)
- Getting Started with K9s (YouTube)
How valuable is education?
How do you decide when it’s time to go back to school or get a certification? What are the determining factors for making those decisions?
Full-Stack Road Map
What’s on your roadmap? We found a full-stack roadmap on dev.to and it’s got some interesting differences from other roadmaps we’ve seen or the roadmaps we’ve made. What are those differences?
- Full Stack Developer’s Roadmap (dev.to)
Where does your business logic go?
Business logic should be in a service, not in a model … or should it? What’s the right way to do this? Is there a right way?
- How accurate is “Business logic should be in a service, not in a model”? (Stack Exchange)
- AnemicDomainModel (MartinFowler.com)
Are the M1/M1X chips a good idea for devs?
Last year’s MacBook Pros introduced new M1 processors based on a RISC architecture. Now Apple is rolling out the rest of the line. What does this mean for devs? Is there a chance you will regret purchasing one of these laptops?
- Apple Silicon M1: A Developer’s Perspective (steipete.com)
Tip of the Week
.(i.e. the period key) in GitHub to bring up an online VS Code editor while you are logged in. Thanks Morten Olsrud! (blog.yogeshchavan.dev)
- Shoutout to Coder, cloud-powered development environments that feel local. (coder.com)
- The podcast that puts together the the “perfect album” for the topic du jour: The Perfect Album Side Podcast (iTunes, Spotify, Google Podcasts)
- Bon Jovi – Livin’ On A Prayer / Wanted Dead Or Alive (Los Angeles 1989) (YouTube)
system prunecommand now includes a
filteroption to easily get rid of older docker resources. (docs.docker.com)
docker system prune --filter="until=72h"
- The GitHub CLI makes it easy to create PR by autofilling information, as well as pushing your branch to origin:
gh pr create --fill(cli.github.com)
- Apache jclouds is an open-source multi-cloud toolkit that abstracts the details of your cloud provider away so you can focus on your code and still support multiple providers. (jclouds.apache.org)