Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
Michael spends the holidays changing his passwords, Joe forgot to cancel his subscriptions, and Allen’s busy playing Call of Duty: Modern Healthcare as we discuss the our 2023 resolutions.
The full show notes for this episode are available at https://www.codingblocks.net/episode201.
- Thanks for the reviews CourageousPotato, Billlhead, [JD]Milo!
- Want to help us out? Leave us a review.
- Game Jam is coming up, January 20-23! (itch.io)
- Thoughts on LastPass?
- Check out the encrypted fields, as figured out by a developer. (GitHub)
- LastPass users: Your info and password vault data are now in hackers’ hands (Ars Technica)
Our 2023 Resolutions
- Learn Kotlin,
- Go deeper on streaming technologies, such as Kafka, Flink, and/or Kafka Connect, and
- Learn more music theory and techniques.
- Of course Joe has categorized his resolutions into the following areas: finances, health, personal development, and career management,
- Go deeper on Spring and streaming technologies, and
- Do more game dev and LeetCode.
Q&A Round 1
- What skills are opposite and which are adjacent that can be picked up this year?
- Angular unit testing,
- Front end development,
- Big data concepts and technologies
- Any books, courses, or certifications?
- Spend more time focusing on health and fun,
- Updating the About Us page with recent info,
- Go deeper on streaming technologies and conepts,
- Go deeper on big data concepts such as data lakes, and best practices, etc.,
- Get back into making content again, such as YouTube, and/or maybe presenting.
Q&A Round 2
- What do you want to avoid in 2023?
- Less Jenkins,
- Avoid piecemeal Spring upgrades,
- Data, privacy … do we need it?,
- New languages, frameworks,
- Generated content (Dalle-2, ChatGPT, Copilot), and
- AI ethics
- ChatGPT Wrote My AP English Essay—and I Passed (WSJ)
- Designing Data Intensive Applications (Amazon)
- Orlando Code Camp (OrlandoCodeCamp.com)
- Atlanta Dev Con (AtlDevCon.com)
Tip of the Week
- You can pipe directly to Visual Studio Code (in bash anyway), much easier than outputting to a file and opening it in Code … especially if you end up accidentally checking it in!
curl https://www.codingblocks.net | code -
- Is your trackpad not responding on your new(-ish) MacBook? Run a piece of paper around the edge to clean out any gunk. Also maybe avoid dripping BBQ sauce on it.
- How does the iOS MFA / Verification Code settings work? We want MFA, but we we’re tired of the runaround!
- Jump around – nope, not Kris Kross, great tip from Thiyagarajan – keeps track of your most “frecent” directories to make navigation easier (GitHub)
- There’s a version for PowerShell too – thank you Brad Knowles! (GitHub)