Coding Blocks Episode 22 is live!
Organizing your code, moving from school-work to work-work, the future of Silverlight, and lots of poo-pooing!
- Great testing tool suggestions from Anders Bauman: TDDHelper, NCrunch
- We had to look up our new year’s resolutions – not a good sign!
- Awesome reviews from punforgettable, Jonno Choo, AdamTheHun, Elistaria, JeramyRR, spitzgoby!
On organizing common code – enums and interfaces in their own package?
- Lots of projects is annoying
- Separating constants / enums separates them from their context
- Java interfaces are weird
- Michael threw up in his ear
- How many packages are too many packages?
- Folders and Name Spaces should match, avoid crossing namespace dependencies!
On graduating from school work to work work
- Internship and Co-ops
- Learn FizzBuzz, Be able to talk about things intelligently (design patterns, cloud, programming terminology, meetups )
- Reddit / Hackernews constantly, but take everything (even top rated comments) with a grain of salt
- Join LinkedIn, “friend” everyone, friend me – whatever
- Start a side project!
Podcasts, meetups, usergroups, pluralsight
Google it yourself, ain’t nobody got time for that!
Worth learning Silverlight?
- Unfortunately no, it’s a dead end
- In a “mobile first” world, other alternatives include Cordova, Xamarin, Titanium, PhoneGap
Resources we like
- Amazing maze generation!
- Game Programming Patterns
- Call of Duty vs Halo vs Destiny Smackdown!